Friday, August 31, 2012

Goodwill Bookshelf

 
Found this little bookshelf at Goodwill for $5!!!  It's solid wood except the back.  I can think of all sorts of uses for this little cutie and I finally had time to paint it.

I started by lightly sanding the entire piece, although Annie Sloan Chalk Paint says you do not need to.  Then I used Pure White A.S. Chalk Paint. 

 
Then I took a fine sanding block to the entire piece.  I wanted it to look pretty aged, so I sanded a lot.  I sanded a little less on the sides, because I knew I was going to do the chevron stripes.  Here is the top.
 
 
Next, I taped off the section I wanted to paint the chevron lines on and began painting with A.S. Duck Egg Blue.  I also added a couple free-handed thinner lines.  I knew I wanted everything to look aged/beachy, so once I took the tape off, I did a little more sanding over the chevron accent.  What do you think?
 
 


 Now....this was actually my first time attempting chevron lines... they're not my friend...  I have looked at a couple people's DIYs, but none of them have made it any easier.  Am I over complicating this or what?  What have you found helpful.  PLEASE share!  But I do love my little shelf and how it turned out.

Keeping it Sweet & Simple.

Sharing this project with:

My Romantic Home
Furniture Friday
One Creative Weekend
Wow us Wednesday
Fridays Unfolded
Inspiration Friday
Vintage Inspiration






4 comments:

  1. Great job. I love the details. Thanks for sharing this week at One Creative Weekend! Have a great weekend!

    New follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautful makeover!!! Love the colors and the chevron pattern
    Your newest follower - would love to have you come by and visit and follow back when you have the time!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I featured your idea on One Creative Weekend at OneCreativeMommy.com this week. Please stop by and grab a featured button if you’d like. I can’t wait to see what you link up this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay thank you so much! I grabbed your button! Happy Weekend.

      Delete