Monday, August 20, 2012

Crock Pot Salsa Chicken & Rice



Thought I would share an easy favorite family recipe.  My mom started making this Mexican chicken and rice dish when I was a teenager.  Lately, I have tried different salsas with it and different ways of preparing it.  It is a truly versatile dish and great as a left over!!  Isn't that all you need to hear?!

Ingredients:

1 lb. chicken breast
24 oz. your favorite salsa and heat level (I use Midwest because I like the corn & beans)
1 cup minute rice

THAT'S RIGHT...3 INGREDIENTS!!

Directions: Put the chicken and salsa in the crock pot on high for approximately 3.5-4 hours.  30mins before the 4 hours is up, shred the chicken and add the rice, let cook.  For a healthier version, you can add brown minute rice, just allow for more cook time.

Serving options: As a family, we always warmed up flour tortillas and ate the chicken and rice as a burrito with a little cheese and sour cream.  Another option is putting it on a baked potato.  More recently, I have been enjoying it on white corn tortillas as a taco (pictured above).  If I would have had some, I would have probably added a little shredded lettuce.

Hope you enjoy!!

Sweet & Simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment